Cambuslang 3 Forth 1 23rd February 2012

Cambuslang 3 Forth 1

The Wanderers lost 3-1 to high-flying Cambuslang at Somervell Park yesterday, Chris McGroarty notching a peach of a goal just after the restart. Forth finished the game with 9 men, Jamie McKenzie receiving two yellow cards and Tony Traynor a straight red.

Forth had Kenny Wright back in the starting line up with Barry Canning unavailable and Jamie McKenzie came in for Scott Gibb at the back.

Cambuslang had the first chance of the match in the opening minutes but the final shot was fired over. Kenny Wright then had a shot blocked for a corner on 5 minutes and from the resultant corner Tony Traynor did well to make room for a shot which the home keeper Treacy parried but Martin Harty could only head into the keepers arms. Forth had a let off on 8 minutes when a Cambuslang corner found Hewitt unmarked but his header rebounded off the post and back into Hutchison’s arms. However, the home side were not to be denied and took the lead on 19 minutes. Good interplay between Kilmartin and McLeod ended with the latter being fouled by Stephen McQuade on the edge of the box. The resultant free kick was met by Kilmartin who made no mistake with a neat header to give the ‘Lang the lead. Hutchison then did well to deny McClung on 22 minutes as the home side sought to increase their advantage.

Forth countered with a Chris McGroarty free kick which found Craig Crawford at the back post but the midfielder could only miscue his shot wide. Allan Stevenson then tested Treacy with a rasping shot from distance which the home keeper did well to tuen over for a corner. The Wanderers were playing some neat passing football at this point but Cambuslang were causing the Forth defence problems each time they attacked and went close again on 30 minutes when a good run by Kilmartin found MacLeod whose shot hit the post before eventually being cleared. Hutchison then denied Boyle before Cambuslang increased their lead on 40 minutes. Again there was some excellent interplay between Kilmartin and McLeod before the latters cross was finished by McClung to put the home side two up at the break.


Forth forced themselves back into the game directly after the restart with an excellent goal from Chris McGroarty. Good work from Marc Howson on the right found McGroarty in space and his powerful shot gave Treacy no chance. The Wanderers had a great chance to equalise minutes later when Craig Crawford broke through the home defence but he fired his shot agonisingly wide. Just as it looked as though Forth might take control of the game they were dealt a hammer blow when Jamie McKenzie received his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card.

Cambuslang with the extra man advantage were now controlling the game and wrapped up the points with around 15 minutes remaining when McCabe fired a shot through Hutchison’s legs and into the net. Dick should had made it four  for the home side when he latched onto a through ball and rounded Hutchison but his final effort hit the top of the crossbar and went over. Forth then went down to 9 men when Tony Traynor received a straight red card which seemed harsh and this view was backed up by the ‘Lang players I spoke to after the game.


A disappointing result for the Forth against a strong Cambuslang side, hopefully we can get back to winning ways next week at home to Vale of Leven.

‘Mon the Forth

Forth team : Hutchison,Howson,McQuade,McKenzie,Grant,Crawford,McGroarty,