Lanark 0 Forth 3 20th October 2012

Lanark 0 Forth 3

The Wanderers progressed to the 3rd Round of the Junior Cup with an excellent 3-0 victory over local rivals Lanark United at Moor Park yesterday.

The Forth goals came from Craig Crawford and a Chris Gordon brace.

Manager Jamie McKenzie declared himself proud of his players and dedicated the win to supporter and programme editor Dougie Bryce who died suddenly during the week. Said McKenzie, “The thoughts and prayers of players and management are with his family at this time.”  RIP Dougie, you’ll be missed by everyone at the Forth.

Considering the recent weather Moor Park was in excellent condition, a credit to the Lanark groundstaff.

Forth made two changes to the side which overcame Girvan a fortnight ago, Stephen McQuade and Martin Harty coming in for Scott Gibb and Chris McQuade respectively.

Forth began brightly and took the lead after 6 minutes through Chris Gordon. Gordon picked up the ball just outside the box, cut inside and made space for himself before expertly curling the ball into the net, giving the home keeper no chance. Lanark responded by forcing several corners and Forth keeper Hutchison did well to block a net bound shot with his legs as the home side continued to press.

Although Lanark had plenty of possession, the Wanderers looked dangerous whenever they attacked and they almost doubled their lead on 17 minutes. Again it was that man Chris Gordon who latched on to a Gordon Murphy through ball and shot low to the keepers left but the stopper got a strong hand to it and kept it out. Chris McGroarty then went close for Forth before Martin Harty headed a Jamie McKenzie free kick narrowly over.

Lanark went close when their number 10 shot wide from a good position before a neat turn and shot from Martin Harty slipped just past the post with the keeper struggling. Chris McGroarty then went close with a shot and although Lanark forced further corners as the interval approached there was no further scoring in the half.

Forth wasted no time in increasing their lead at the start of the second half, notching a second through Craig Crawford on 47 minutes. A quick break found Crawford and McGroarty onside just inside the Lanark half and a neat one two sent Crawford bearing down on goal. As the home keeper advanced, Crawford executed a deft chip over him and into the net. Cue an interesting celebration from the scorer, who informs me that it’s called the “helicrawfter”, so who am I to argue !

Chris Gordon then shot narrowly past with the keeper beaten but he was not to be denied and made it 3-0 on 58 minutes. Martin Harty was sent clear on the right and elected to cut it back rather than shoot and although the initial shot was blocked, the ball feel to Gordon who buried it from 20 yards. Lanark were a beaten side at this point, although they kept plugging away and Forth keeper Hutchison was called into action on several occasions, but was equal to whatever the home side threw at him. The Yowes went down to 10 men when McCrum was sent packing for dissent and although Forth were seeing plenty of the ball and substitute Yamikani Misanjo was causing the home defence untold problems, there was no further scoring.

Overall, a disciplined performance with some resolute defending when required and some clinical finishing, which augurs well for the season ahead.

‘Mon the Forth

More photos can be found here.

Forth team : Hutchison,Howson,S.McQuade,McKenzie,Grant,Canning,(Storrie),Crawford(C.McQuade),McGroarty,Harty,Gordon,Murphy(Misanjo)