Blackburn United 4 Forth 1 270713

Blackburn United 4 Forth 1

Forth manager Chris McGroarty continued his policy of involving his whole squad yesterday at Blackburn and Wanderers fans were given their first glimpse of Chris Lennon, who started the match, and John Watson who appeared as a second half substitute.

It was the home side who opened the brightest and after a header was flashed wide, Hutchison was then called upon to touch over a goal bound shot. Forth countered with a Gilchrist shot from a quickly taken free kick but it sailed harmlessly over the bar. Gillchrist then embarked on a searing run and his shot appeared to be heading for the top corner until deflected away by a defenders head. Trialist Brazil then shot wide for Forth before a near post run saw him connect with a Lennon cross but again the effort was deflected past the post. David Grant found space from the resultant corner but his header flew over. The hosts though had slightly shaded the first half and only a mixture of poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept the scores level until just before the interval when they hit Forth with a sucker punch. The number 4 found himself in acres of space just inside the Forth box and had time to pick his spot past Hutchison and open the scoring. A minute later only the legs of Hutchison prevented them from doubling their lead, the keeper managing to deflect the ball away for a corner.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”Blackburn270713″]

Forth almost levelled the scores 5 minutes into the second half but although Brazil’s effort beat the onrushing keeper, the ball hit the outside of the post and rolled out for a goal kick. Brazil then flashed another shot wide as Forth pressed for the equaliser but it was the home side who increased their lead on 62 minutes. The Wanderers offside trap was breached with two United men bearing down on goal and although Hutchison did well to parry the initial shot he had no chance with the follow up and the hosts were two up. Worse was to follow three minutes later when Blackburn again beat the Forth offside trap and when the ball was squared the striker had time to round Hutchison before firing into the net despite a desperate attempt to block by Howson on the line.

Forth continued to press however,with substitute Watson prominent, and a good passing move involving Watson saw him release Gilchrist on the left and the striker fired an angled shot past the home keeper to reduce the arrears. The Wanderers continued to press but as the clock ticked down it was Blackburn who added to their tally in the dying moments. A corner on the right was met by the number 5 who rose unchallenged to bullet a header into the net and make the final score 4-1 to the hosts.

Another good work out for the Wanderers and attention now turns to the next match against local rivals Lanark United on Wednesday at Kingshill.

‘Mon The Forth