Forth 1 Newmains 0 12th August 2013

Forth 1 Newmains 0

Forth narrowly defeated Newmains by one goal to nil this evening at Kingshill Park, Andrew Gilchrist notching the goal 9 minutes from time. The Wanderers were once again much changed from the side which faced Carluke, as the management team continued to ring the changes ahead of the first league fixture on Saturday.

Glenn Weir, deputising for JC Hutchison in the Forth goal, was the first half hero, tipping over a speculative 30 yarder on 12 minutes and book-ending that with an important block right on the half time whistle. Between those two stops he pulled off a spectacular save from a 25 yard shot, before colliding with the Newmains centre forward as both pursued a through ball, resulting in treatment being required for both. Newmains also came close with a header which was directed wide with the target gaping as they took the game to Forth.

At the other end, Forth came close on 15 minutes when trialist striker David Traynor received the ball from Andrew Gilchrist, swiveled and hit a shot which cracked against the inside of the post and rolled along the line before the follow-up shot was deflected for a corner. The Wanderers also had a sound penalty claim denied when John Watson was clearly tripped a fraction inside the box but the referee waved away the Forth claims. The Wanderers created one further chance of note when a defender did well to clear a Paul Cawley cross with Traynor waiting to pounce.

A fairly scrappy first half with Newmains perhaps shading it, but goalless nonetheless.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”Newmains120813″]

Forth began the second half with Chris Lennon on for John Watson and the winger was to prove a troublesome presence to the Newmains defence throughout the half. It was Andrew Gilchrist who had the first Wanderers chance though shooting wide on 47 minutes and the same player fired narrowly over just after the hour mark with the Newmains keeper rooted to the spot. Forth had pegged back Newmains from the start of the half and attacks from the visitors were becoming infrequent and limited to shots from distance but despite the possession and pressure the Wanderers were still searching for that elusive goal.

With a goalless draw looking likely and the game into the final 10 minutes, the Wanderers finally made the breakthrough thanks to Andrew Gilchrist. He picked up the ball, played a one-two with Traynor and curled the ball low into the left hand corner of the net. As the clock ticked down, Forth went in search of further goals and the visiting keeper did well to beat the onrushing Misanjo to a through ball and then turned away a net bound effort from Lennon to keep the final score at 1-0.

Forth perhaps merited the victory on their second half showing although Newmains can take heart from a positive first half performance. Next up, the beginning of the league campaign with a tricky away tie against in-form Vale of Clyde.

‘Mon The Forth.

Forth team : Weir,Howson,McLean,Trialist,McQuade,Watson(Lennon),Trialist,Trialist,Trialist,