Forth 4 Newmains 2 19th April 2014

Forth 4 Newmains 2

Forth defeated Newmains by 4 goals to 2 yesterday, thanks to a goal from Chris McGroarty and a Jamie Lindsay hat-trick. The visitors pegged the Wanderers back twice in an entertaining game at a sunny Kingshill Park. Forth have now completed their campaign and sit on 39 points, 5 ahead of Wishaw who need 6 points from their final two games to pip the Wanderers to the final promotion spot.

Forth made two changes from the side which lost to Port Glasgow last week, Chris McGroarty and Stephen McQuade returning with John Watson and Dean McLean dropping to the bench. Knowing a victory was imperative, it was the Wanderers who began the brighter and they took the lead with 10 minutes on the clock through player/manager Chris McGroarty. Striker Jamie Lindsay fed the onrushing McGroarty and although Newmains keeper Scott Cochran did well to block the initial shot, the Forth gaffer followed up to net from close range.

Those home supporters expecting a goal rush were to be disappointed however as Newmains fought back to level a mere 6 minutes later through Gary McMullen. Some good play down the right wing ended with a pinpoint cross finding him in space to nod home. This seem to galvanise Forth and they regained the lead on 19 minutes although it was fortuitous to say the least. Visiting keeper Cochran seemed to have Jamie Lindsay’s free kick covered but inexplicably he failed to hold it and the ball trundled through his legs into the net.

Forth almost went further ahead on 22 minutes but Jordan Smith’s shot was cleared from the line, however the Wanderers were now in control and the chances were coming thick and fast. Lindsay shot wide before David Grant slid the ball narrowly past the post. Tony Traynor then played in Chris Lennon but Cochran did well to block his shot and it was cleared for a corner. Further Forth chances fell to Andrew Gilchrist and Tony Traynor but half-time arrived with no further scoring.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”Newmains190414″]

The Wanderers knew their lead was a slight one and sought to increase it at the beginning of the second period but Lindsay’s goalbound effort was deflected for a corner. Newmains looked dangerous on their rare counter attacks and it was from one of those they equalised for a second time on 50 minutes. Mark Lafferty went down in the box under a combined challenge from Jordan Smith and Marc Howson and the referee pointed to the spot. It seemed soft but Kristopher Dick was unconcerned and converted with the minimum of fuss to level the scores at 2-2.

Forth needed to regain the lead quickly and Chris Lennon thought he’d done so on 53 minutes after perfectly meeting a Howson cross with his head, but he could only look on in disbelief as Cochran pulled off a tremendous save to turn the ball away for a corner. The Wanderers continued to press and were handed a numerical advantage with an hour or so on the clock when Kristopher Dick was given his marching orders.

However, it took until the 74th minute for them to take the lead for the third time when Jamie Lindsay pounced on some defensive hesitation after a bounce ball to net, and the same player wrapped up the points and completed his hat-trick with a shot from the edge of the box after 82 minutes. John Watson came close late on but 4-2 to the Wanderers it finished.

Our season is now complete and we need to rely on others to turn a good season into a great one.

‘Mon the Forth.

Forth team : Hutchison,Howson,McQuade,Smith,Grant,Canning,Traynor(Watson),McGroarty(Brown),