Petershill Forth 191013

Petershill 3 Forth 1 

Forth lost 3-1 to Petershill at Petershill Park in the West of Scotland Cup yesterday. The Wanderers took the lead through an early Robbie Brown strike, but despite a fine Forth performance their Super League opponents ultimately proved too strong.

Forth wasted no time in taking the game to their Super Premier hosts and were ahead with barely two minutes on the clock. Chris Lennon won the ball in midfield and drove towards the home goal before releasing Jason Corbett whose cross was cleared for a corner. Andrew Gilchrist took the corner and when Michael White in the Peasy goal punched clear, Robbie Brown was on hand to drill a low shot in off the keepers right hand post.

Unfortunately for the Wanderers, their lead lasted only 9 minutes as the home side equalised with 11 minutes on the clock. A Jordan Murch through ball pierced the Forth defence and Paul Woods had time to control the ball before slotting home past Glenn Weir. Weir had to look lively 2 minutes later as he rushed from his goal to smother the ball ahead of the onrushing Stephen McGladrigan. Ryan Smillie then shot well wide as Petershill began to dominate and it was Smillie who put the hosts a goal up on 23 minutes, finishing neatly after a McGladrigan shot had been blocked.

To their credit, the Wanderers didn’t let the heads go down and in fact had two good chances to equalise prior to the interval. Firstly, Jordan Smith got his head to a deep Chris McGroarty corner but home keeper White blocked and the ball was cleared and then after a surging Tony Traynor run, the ball was passed to Gilchrist on the edge of the Peasy box but the Forth striker could only fire over from a good position on 44 minutes.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”Peasy191013″]

Petershill began the second half strongly as they tried to put the tie to bed and Paul McQuilken saw a shot deflected onto the top of the Forth net before firing another shot well wide. However, as the half progressed Forth began to take the game to Peasy with some sublime interplay and only a timely intervention from Ross McCabe,diverting a McGroarty free kick away for a corner, prevented Jordan Smith having a free header at goal.

A fantastic run from Chris Lennon was cleared for a corner as Forth began to turn the screw and manager McGroarty went close with a shot on 70 minutes. Play now roared from end to end and Glenn Weir did well to save a McGladrigan shot at the other end. David Grant then spurned a great opportunity for Forth, leaping like a Salmon to meet a perfect Lennon cross but the Wanderers skipper didn’t get a clean connection on his header and the ball sailed narrowly wide.

This was to prove costly for Forth as Petershill tied up the match with a third goal on 83 minutes. Woods had gone close minutes earlier when he sprurned a great chance from a McGladrigan cross but he made amends when he fired home a Finnigan pass. As the game reached it’s conclusion, White saved comfortably from Forth substitute Yamikani Misanjo and Glenn Weir in the Wanderers goal did well to block a McGladrigan shot with his legs.

Overall, a fine display from the Forth which earned plaudits from many of the home supporters, but as skipper Grant said after the match the players were “gutted” with the result of a game they had put so much into. Another tough cup match next week, as the Wanderers travel to Whitburn in the Scottish Junior Cup.

‘Mon the Forth.

Forth team : Weir,Corbett,McLean(Felvus),Smith,Grant,Canning(Misanjo),Lennon,McGroarty,