Royal Albert 1 Forth 4 31st August 2013

Royal Albert 1 Forth 4

Forth recorded a fine 4-1 victory away to Royal Albert at Tileworks Park this afternoon. The Wanderers played some excellent football and were rewarded with goals from John Watson,Bryan Felvus,Yamikani Misanjo and Jordan Smith.


Forth made one change to the side which lost narrowly to Wishaw last week, Marc Howson replacing Stephen McQuade in defence.

The Wanderers began brightly, passing the ball around well and after some excellent play they took the lead on 16 minutes. The ball was worked out to Marc Howson on the right and his pinpoint cross was nodded home by the unmarked John Watson. Forth came close minutes later when Yamikani Misanjo burst through the home defence but he elected to cut the ball back rather than shoot and the ball was cleared for a corner. Chris McGroarty swung the resultant corner in under the bar and Albert keeper Stevenson did well to punch clear.

The home side created their first chances midway through the half, when only a last ditch Jordan Smith tackle prevented a clear sight of goal and JC Hutchison did well to save the follow up. Forth then enjoyed a spell of domination, winning three successive corners but it was the Albert who created the next chance ,Hutchison getting down well to turn McGill’s shot away for a corner.

The home side were left to rue that miss on 30 minutes when the Wanderers doubled their lead. A perfectly weighted pass from Misanjo set Bryan Felvus in behind the Albert defence and the striker made no mistake, blasting high into the net. Only a fine save from Stevenson denied Felvus another goal on 37 minutes, the keeper getting down to his right to turn a powerful volley away for a corner. The goal was only momentarily delayed though as Misanjo rose to meet Gilchrist’s corner and headed home from close range to make it 3-0 after 38 minutes. Forth were cruising at this stage but the Albert received a lifeline right on the half time whistle when Dean McLean was adjudged to have fouled Dickson in the box and the striker got up, dusted himself down and dispatched the penalty with the minimum of fuss to make it 3-1.

Royal Albert began the second half positively, taking the game to Forth but the Wanderers defence was resolute and dealt effectively with any threats. Tony Traynor then embarked on a trademark run, after good interplay with Misanjo, but his final effort was deflected for a corner. At the other end Dickson shot wide and Hutchison had to be alert to punch clear a dangerous looking cross.

Another goal looked likely and it was the Wanderers who notched it on 62 minutes. A deep Gilchrist corner was headed back to the front post for Jordan Smith to head home for the second successive game. 4-1 to Forth and the game was effectively over as a contest.

The Wanderers continued to press and Stevenson did well to block a goalbound Misanjo shot with his legs, Traynor shot narrowly over with the keeper stranded and a mazy run from Chris Lennon ended with him shooting into the side net. Forth substitute Tam Fennessey was then sent packing, minutes after coming on, for a late tackle on Stokoe, while Stokoe himself was lucky to stay on the park for a similar challenge on Lennon as tempers began to fray.

Overall, a pleasing result and performance from the Wanderers, which augurs well for the visit of Port Glasgow to Kingshill Park on Saturday.

‘Mon The Forth.

Forth : Hutchison,Howson,McLean,Smith,Canning,Watson,Traynor

Royal Albert : Stevenson,Nelson(Strang),Stobie,Wilke,Stokoe,Baptie,