Vale of Clyde 3 Forth 1 17th August 2013

Vale of Clyde 3 Forth 1

Vale of Clyde defeated Forth by 3 goals to 1 at Fullarton Park this afternoon, despite Yamikani Misanjo notching the opener for the Wanderers within a minute of the start.

The sun was out at Fullarton Park as the 2013/14 league season kicked off and it was Forth who flew out of the blocks, scoring within the first minute. Andrew Gilchrist burst into the box and the ball broke to Yamikani Misanjo who wasted no time in burying the ball in the bottom right corner of the Vale net. A stunning start for the Wanderers !

The Tin Pail reacted well to this early setback and Derek Hepburn came close on 7 minutes when he met a cross from the right only to put the ball wide from close range. At the other end, home keeper Ryan Mailey easily saved a Chris Lennon shot after he was set up by Gilchrist. Forth keeper JC Hutchsion was then called into action to touch over a David Weir shot before Hepburn drove towards the Forth goal only to fire wide as the hosts began to assert themselves. Kameni was next to test Hutchison but the Wanderers keeper was equal to his effort.

Mailey saved from Lennon as Forth sought to get back into the game but Vale of Clyde were enjoying the better of things at this stage and it was no real surprise when they equalised on the half hour mark. Joel Kasubandi picked the ball up around 30 yards out and drove past a couple of Forth defenders before coolly dispatching a shot past Hutchison into the net. Forth responded when a Traynor cross was headed into the path of Gilchrist by Misanjo but Vale keeper Mailey did well to save the shot. The keeper was however flatfooted minutes later but was relieved to see a Misanjo shot trickle past his far post. The final chance of the half fell to the hosts, with Connor Stevenson putting the ball by the post after a sweeping move.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”voc170813″]

It was the Vale who created the first chance of the second half, when a great ball from Anthony Franchetti put David Weir in on goal but the forward shot wide. In response, Chris Lennon fired wide for Forth but again it was the home side who were beginning to dominate and they took the lead on 55 minutes. A deep cross to the back stick was headed back across the goal and Scott McManus was there to apply the final touch from a couple of yards to put the hosts ahead. Kasubandi then shot wide after a powerful run before Hutchison saved from Hepburn as the Vale looked to kill the game off.

Kasubandi then headed wide from a Lee Morrison cross whilst at the other end Morrison almost turned a Misanjo cross into his own net, the defender relieved to see the ball roll out for a corner. Kasubandi then flashed another header wide before Vale substitute Marcus Stewart wrapped up the points on 90 minutes making it 3-1 with an assured finish. Forth almost pulled a goal back in injury time when a Jordan Smith header was deflected for a corner and when the corner was swung in the ball was forced over the line after a scramble before being cleared. However, the referee was unsighted and the goal not given despite vociferous Forth protests, and it finished 3-1.

A disappointing result although the better team on the day undoubtedly won. Next up, a tricky match against another of the promotion favourites Wishaw.

‘Mon The Forth.

Forth team : Hutchison.Howson,McLean,Smith,Canning(McQuade),Watson(Felvus),Traynor,

Vale of Clyde team : Mailey,L.Morrison,Franchetti,Currie,McGowan,Kameni,Weir(Stewart),Stevenson,