Carluke 6 Forth 2 12th August 2014


Forth suffered their second consecutive Sectional League Cup defeat tonight at the John Cumming Stadium, Carluke Rovers winning by six goals to two. Robbie Brown scored both Wanderers goals, levelling the match on each occasion. Mirroring Saturday, both teams finished with 10 men, Rovers losing Dean Kindlan in the first half and Forth Kris Dick late on.

Forth were first to threaten when Andrew Gilchrist released Tony Traynor down the left but his cut back to the edge of the box was blasted over by Kris Dick after four minutes. Two minutes later and the hosts were ahead. A free kick was flighted in from the right and met by the head of Stephen Murray and although Glenn Weir in the Forth goal got a hand to it, it had sufficient power to reach the back of the net. Carluke were in the ascendancy now and Weir did well to save from Ian Watt before ex-Forth man Gordon Murphy screwed a shot wide.

The Wanderers were level on 16 minutes however through the unlikely figure of Robbie Brown. Gilchrist released Stephen McQuade down the left and his low cross took out the goalkeeper and Brown was there at the back post to slide home and level the scores.

Forth keeper Weir was called into action to punch clear a vicious inswinging corner after 27 minutes but two minutes later he was helpless as Ryan Smillie put Rovers 2-1 ahead. Ian Watt gathered the ball on the left,in what appeared to be an offside position, and made towards goal before crossing for Smillie to net. It seemed cruel on the Wanderers considering they had been victims of a similar decision against Wishaw on Saturday. Carluke were then reduced to 10 men barely a minute later when Dean Kindlan received his second yellow card, both given for his reaction to tackles on him.

The interval arrived with Carluke 2-1 to the good, after a half in which it’s probably fair to say the referee impressed neither side with some perplexing decisions.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”Carluke120814″]

Forth came out for the second half determined to restore parity and achieved their aim after 53 minutes and again it was midfielder Robbie Brown who was on target. Andrew Gilchrist set Tony Traynor clear and the Wanderers man although one on one with the keeper unselfishly squared the ball and, in almost a carbon copy of the Wanderers first goal, Brown was there at the back post to score. Forth now had their bit between the teeth and Gilchrist saw his attempted lob fly wide after 57 minutes.

Credit to Carluke though, despite the numerical disadvantage they continued to attack and got their reward with an hour on the clock when Ian Watt fired low into the corner. Watt seemed to be enjoying himself now and forced Weir to turn his shot round the post three minutes later before unluckily seeing another shot crash off the crossbar on  67 minutes. Three minutes later his volley flew just over as the 10 men of Carluke turned the screw.

At the other end, Tony Traynor headed wide after 76 minutes before Carluke increased their lead a couple of minutes later, Mark Haddow heading in a corner. Ryan Smillie then won a challenge with Weir, swivelled and fired the ball into the net to make it 5-2 on 82 minutes. Kris Dick was shown a second yellow for Forth after 85 minutes and to make matters worse Watt completed the scoring direct from the resultant free kick. Daniel Kindlan almost made it 7-2 at the death but again the crossbar came to the Wanderers rescue.

Another sore one, but we dust ourselves down and move on to Victoria Park on Saturday to face Newmains.

Forth team : Weir,Corbett,McQuade(McLean),Canning,Grant,Brown,McGroarty(Trialist), K.Dick,Lindsay,Gilchrist,Traynor