Forth 1 Johnstone Burgh 2 21st March 2015

Forth Wanderers 1 Johnstone Burgh 2

Forth knew a win was required to keep alive their slim promotion hopes and began the game on the front foot, with both Alan Christie and Ian Harty trying their luck from distance in the opening minutes. Burgh had been slow out of the blocks, but slowly began to play their way into the game and, after a good spell of pressure, Connor Milne fired wide on 13 minutes.

The visitors continued to press and were rewarded after 22 minutes when Jack Heron glanced a cross from the right in off the far post to put them ahead. Martin McIntyre was next to try his luck for the visitors, but his long range effort was straight into the arms of Paul McKane. Forth were playing some neat passing football at times, although they were finding it difficult to break down the Burgh defence.

Another goal arrived on 36 minutes and once again it was the Renfrewshire men celebrating. Heron won a 50/50 with Jim Dick on the edge of the box and wasted no time in rattling the ball into the corner to double the Burgh advantage. Alan Christie had a volley charged down as Forth looked to reduce the deficit, but the interval arrived with the visitors in the driving seat.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”Burgh210315″]

Burgh carved out the first chance of the second half when that man Heron beat the offside trap to race in on goal, but he elected to square the ball rather than shoot and Craig Gupwell got back to snuff out the danger. At the other end, Burgh keeper Fraser Wilson did well to come out and block a Barry Canning effort, injuring himself in the process.

The Wanderers were now in the ascendancy and looked to have pulled a goal back after 52 minutes following an excellent passage of play. Kris Dick fed Alan Christie who in turn set Ian Harty in on goal and the striker made no mistake from inside the box. However, to the anger of the Forth players and supporters referee Thomson disallowed it for offside.

At the other end, Burgh won a free kick in a dangerous position but Sean Fitzharris fired straight at McKane. Ian Harty was next to try his luck for Forth, Marc Howson setting him free down the right ,but his angled shot flew narrowly wide. The Wanderers were not to be denied however and pulled one back on 72 minutes. A ball into the box was headed across goal by Jordan Smith leaving Robbie Brown the simple task of heading home from close range.

The visitors should have restored their two goal advantage minutes later when Steven Fitzpatrick beat the offside trap and raced in on goal, only to see his final shot drift agonizingly past the far post. The game was now swinging from end to end, but it was the Wanderers who created the final chance of the game with eight minutes remaining. Some lovely interplay saw the ball eventually fall to Barry Canning and his sweetly hit shot rebounded from the bar with keeper Wilson rooted to the spot. Forth continued to apply pressure as the clock ticked down but Burgh held firm to earn the three points.

A disappointing result which all but puts paid to the Wanderers promotion hopes for another season, but some of the passing football played in spells this afternoon certainly augurs well for the future.

Forth team : McKane,Howson,Corbett,Gupwell,Canning,J.Dick(McLean),S.Watson(Smith),