Forth v Shotts 23rd August 2014

Forth 0 Shotts 3

The Wanderers lost 3-0 to Shotts this afternoon at Kingshill Park. Despite having the better of the first half, the closest Forth came was through a Kris Dick screamer which rebounded from the underside of the bar, although the loss of Jordan Smith just before the break was arguably an even bigger blow. After the interval Shotts were the dominant side and wrapped up victory with a Sean McKenna double and a goal from Scott McKean.

It was the visitors who created the first chance after only 4 minutes but Clark Rankin saw his attempt cleared off the line by Jordan Smith. At the other end, Jim Dick met a free kick in the Shotts box and played the ball to Jamie Lindsay who saw his shot blocked. Forth came close to opening the scoring after 12 minutes when a Kris Dick thunderbolt cannoned back off the crossbar with Shotts keeper Paul McKane beaten all ends up. The Wanderers were causing the visiting defence problems at this stage and went close again after 19 minutes when Jordan Smith met a Chris McGroarty corner at the back post but could only direct his header narrowly wide.

Shotts responded with a Sean McKenna shot which was easily held by Forth keeper Ciaran McDade while the prominent Tony Traynor saw a shot saved by McKane before his cross field ball was deflected into the path of Jamie Lindsay who volleyed narrowly over. McKenna came close for the visitors with half an hour played but his powerful shot ended up in the side netting. It was end to end stuff now and after Shotts had gone close with a chip, Jordan Smith couldn’t get a decent connection on a McGroarty free kick and McKane held easily.

The Wanderers suffered a blow just prior to half time when Jordan Smith limped off and the interval arrived with honours even.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”shotts230814″]

Shotts began the second half brightly and won a free kick in a dangerous position at the edge of the box but McKenna fired the dead ball straight at McDade. Rankin then curled a ball narrowly wide as the visitors began to exert some pressure and a good run and cross by David Crawford found no takers in the box. A goal looked to be coming and it duly arrived on 57 minutes via the penalty spot. A long ball eluded the Forth defence and McKenna pounced only to see his shot well saved by McDade but he was impeded as he went for the rebound and a penalty awarded. McKenna made no mistake from the spot,sending McDade the wrong way.

Shotts now had the bit between their teeth and McKenna saw another shot saved after 63 minutes as they sought to increase their advantage and four minutes later it was 2-0. McKenna pounced on a poor clearance from McDade only to see his shot rebound from the post into the path of Scott McKean who converted easily.

Forth continued to press when they could and Kris Dick saw his curling shot fly wide after 77 minutes before Tony Traynor had a shot blocked after good work from Andrew Gilchrist on the left. Keeper McDade then had to be replaced after suffering a hamstring injury and his replacement James Teece pulled off a fine save from Rankin after 82 minutes. The scoring was completed after 85 minutes and again it was a long ball that caught the Forth defence out. After a Wanderers attack had petered out, the ball was launched forward to McKenna who turned his man and rifled home.

The final scoreline was harsh on the Wanderers who played well at times, especially in the first half, but there’s still work to be done as we approach the start of the league campaign, which begins with a tough looking tie at home to Port Glasgow on Saturday.

Forth team : McDade(Teece),Mcmullen,McQuade,J.Dick,Smith(D.Dick),McGroarty,Low,K.Dick,