Forth Wanderers 1 Glasgow Perthshire 3 – 4th April 2015

Forth Wanderers 1 Glasgow Perthshire 3

Forth began positively against promotion chasing Perthshire and in the opening minute Alan Christie broke clear wide on the right, only to see his cutback cleared. Shire defender Aboubakar Mansare was then relieved to see a back header sail past his keeper Justin Smith but also past the post and out for a corner, as the Wanderers continued to press. Forth forced a series of corners at this stage with a Barry Canning shot, which was blocked, the closest they came from these.

At the other end, a cross from the left found Christopher Barr in space but he hesitated and his shot was blocked on 17 minutes. With the half hour mark approaching, Forth centre back Jordan Smith just failed to reach a Kris Dick free kick at the back post, before Canning volleyed straight at Shire keeper Smith a minute later. Ian Harty then played Marc Howson in down the right with a precision pass, but his driven cross was just ahead of the onrushing Robbie Brown.

It was virtually one way traffic at this stage and Forth came close again on 37 minutes when John Watson chested the ball down into the path of Harty, but his fiercely struck shot was deflected away for a corner. A Wanderers goal finally arrived after 41 minutes after a Robbie Brown shot was blocked and fell to Alan Christie, who made no mistake from 8 yards. It was no more than Forth deserved for a half of enterprising football, although the slender advantage was a cause for concern.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”GP040415″]

The visitors seemed rejuvenated after the break laying siege to the Wanderers goal from the off and should have equalised within 4 minutes of the restart. After a  wonder save from Paul McKane, clawing the ball off the line low to his left, the ball was worked back in to Daniel Hazlett whose powerful strike ricocheted off the crossbar and clear. An undoubted let off for the Wanderers.

The Shire continued to press however and equalised  after 57 minutes through Mark Tait. There seemed little danger when he gathered the ball on the left, but he controlled well before cutting inside and unleashing an unstoppable shot past McKane. It was all Shire now and Hazlett forced a smart save from McKane a minute later, before Kevin Mooney could only find the side netting from a good position.

With 64 minutes played, only another fine stop from McKane denied Tait a second goal and the Forth keeper denied the same player 2 minutes later in rather more unorthodox fashion. It looked like the Wanderers had weathered the Shire storm and indeed began to play more in the visitors half as time wore on, but they were undone again after 76 minutes. Craig Gupwell’s clearance was charged down and fell to Barr, who wasted no time in dispatching the ball into the net.

As the clocked ticked down, McKane again did well to touch a netbound shot from Mark Begg onto the bar but deep into injury time the Forth keeper was adjudged to have brought down Tait and shown a red card for his troubles. Martin Gibb made no mistake from the spot to wrap up the points for the Possil men.

Another disappointing result, especially after an excellent first half performance, and it’s a tough match again next week, away to another side with promotion aspirations, St Roch’s.

Forth team : McKane,Canning,McLean(Crawford),Gupwell,Smith,Watson(Tippen),Howson,