Glasgow Perthshire 0 Forth 2 22nd November 2014

Glasgow Perthshire 0 Forth Wanderers 2

A fine team performance saw the Wanderers return from Keppoch Park with all three points after beating Glasgow Perthshire 2-0.
A first half Jamie Lindsay strike was added to early in the second half by Jason Corbett to record a fully deserved victory. New keeper Paul McKane made an assured debut, although in truth he had little to do.

The Wanderers began brightly, attacking the Perthshire goal from the off, Chris Lennon having a couple of shots blocked and firing into the side netting in the opening minutes. Ian Harty was next to threaten, controlling a long ball before turning and firing narrowly wide. After 5 minutes home keeper Jack Baker was called into action, turning a Lennon shot around the post in unorthodox fashion. It was one way traffic at this stage and John Watson was next to try his luck firing over on 19 minutes.

The Forth pressure merited a goal and one arrived after 27 minutes. A corner was played in to Jordan Smith at the back post and although the ball was partially cleared, it fell to Jamie Lindsay, who steadied himself before picking his spot and curling the ball into the net, giving Baker no chance.

Perthshire had rarely been seen as an attacking force up until this point, although they did serve notice of their potential threat having two headers disallowed for clear offsides after quick counter attacks. Overall though, the Wanderers defence was in control with debutant keeper Paul McKane a virtual spectator, although he was called into action two minutes from the break, doing well to turn over a shot from Derek McNab. Half time arrived with the Wanderers good value for their narrow lead.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”gp221114″]

McKane was called into action again at the beginning of the second half, tipping over a John Paul Craig shot for a corner, but the game soon reverted to the same pattern as the first half with Forth doing the majority of the pressing. Indeed, they forced three corners in quick succession as they sought to add to their lead and Jamie Lindsay forced a good save from Baker who got down well to turn away his powerful shot.

A second Forth goal was only momentarily delayed and arrived after 52 minutes when keeper Baker failed to deal with a corner and the ball broke to Jason Corbett who coolly slotted home for his third goal in as many games. The Wanderers kept up the pressure and Chris Lennon twice went close, firstly firing narrowly wide after making space for himself, before only the legs of Baker prevented his powerfully struck free kick from hitting the net.

Perthshire were becoming frustrated and the half was peppered with bookings for the home side as Forth continued to control the game. A rare Perthshire chance saw McKane easily save a header from Mark Tait, whilst at the other end John Watson went close with a rasping 25 yard drive. As the clock ticked down the home side were reduced to 10 men when Mark Begg was sent off for a lunge on Marc Howson. The final chance of the match fell to John Watson who volleyed over after a good Howson pass found him in space.

Overall, an excellent team performance to which all the players contributed and one which augurs well for the future. Next up, another away match when the Wanderers visit Newmains United at Victoria Park.

Forth team : McKane,Howson,Grant,Canning,J.Smith,J.Dick,Lindsay,Watson,I.Harty,