Wishaw 7 Forth 1 18th October 2014

Wishaw 7 Forth 1

Another poor performance by the Wanderers saw them comprehensively beaten 7-1 by Wishaw at the Beltane yesterday. The only bright spot on an otherwise forgettable afternoon was a sublime finish by Andrew Gilchrist for the Forth goal.

The Wanderers found themselves facing an uphill task after only 13 minutes by which time they had fallen two goals behind. Kevin Barry Grant fed Paul Woodlock who netted the first after 7 minutes before Michael Collinder beat the offside trap and raced through to score six minutes later.

Forth were finding it difficult to create any chances of note, a Kris Dick free kick straight at the keeper and a curler from Andrew Gilchrist which flew narrowly wide, the best of their efforts. They were susceptible to quick Wishaw breaks however and fell further behind after 38 minutes when, after an attack had broken down, the hosts quickly played the ball to the other end of the park for Paul McGeoch to net the third. Iain Harty had an effort easily saved just prior to the interval but it was a half in which Wishaw were by far the dominant force.

[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”Wishaw181014″]

Forth gave themselves a glimmer of hope when they pulled a goal back with 66 minutes on the clock. Iain Harty fed Andrew Gilchrist and the Forth man chipped the ball over Sandy Thomson and into the net. This was to prove a false dawn however and Wishaw restored their three goal advantage through Kevin Barry Grant with 77 minutes gone before Collinder made it 5-1 two minutes later after good work by Jonathan Boal down the right.

The roof had fallen in on Forth now, with Wishaw looking likely to score with every attack, and it came as no real surprise when Grant completed his hat-trick with two late goals.

A performance to forget from the Wanderers who will have to improve significantly for the visit to Dyce on Saturday in the Scottish Junior Cup.

Forth team : P.Smith,Howson,Corbett,Grant,J.Smith,Brown(McGowan),Canning(McGroarty),K.Dick