Forth 0 Port Glasgow 3 – 17th October 2015

Forth Wanderers 0 Port Glasgow 3

Forth lost their unbeaten record to Port Glasgow on Saturday after a disappointing Wanderers performance saw the Inverclyde men triumph 3-0.

The visitors began on the front foot and Scott Nugent tried his luck from fully 30 yards with a dipping shot which wasn’t far away after 3 minutes. Forth’s first chance arrived on 9 minutes when Taylor Scott rose unchallenged to meet a Willie McClaren corner, but the young striker headed over. Wanderers keeper Andy Finnigan then did well to block a powerful shot from Darren Boyle after 9 minutes before Ian Harty fired over from 25 yards at the other end.

The deadlock was broken after 26 minutes when, with the Forth defence claiming for offside, Nugent nipped in ahead of Finnigan and put the ball in the net. Nugent had another chance 10 minutes later but fired his shot narrowly over. Forth were struggling to find any rhythm as Port seemed happy to concede a series of niggly fouls and break up the play, Angus Gault being the most persistent offender until he was booked 5 minutes from the interval.

The Wanderers had one final chance prior to the break when, after a free kick, the ball broke to Willie McClaren one on one with keeper James Dunn, but the Port stopper turned the ball away for a corner to keep his side ahead.


Barry McGeechan had the first chance of the second half, but the Forth man drilled his shot well wide while Jamie McKenna came close for Port with a header. The visitors increased their lead after 56 minutes and again it was that man Nugent. He gathered the ball outside the box before cutting inside to make space for himself and drilling the ball into the net to make it 2-0.

The Wanderers came close to reducing the deficit on 64 minutes when Port keeper Dunn did well to turn a netbound McClaren shot away for a corner. Jim Dick met the resulting corner but couldn’t keep his header down and it flew harmlessly over. At the other end Finnigan did well to save from McKenna after 71 minutes but the Forth keeper was helpless to prevent the same player scoring a minute later. The Wanderers played the ball back only to lose possession and it was passed to McKenna in acres of space and he made no mistake to make it 3-0 to the Port.

Forth continued to press and forced a series of corners, Port keeper Dunn making a great save from a flying Jim Dick header from one, while Dick headed another over, but it wasn’t to be. The final chance of the match fell to the visitors, Steven McAfee looking on in disbelief as Finnigan somehow managed to keep his well struck free kick out to make the final score 3-0.

A disappointing Forth performance ahead of this weeks trip to Dundee to face Violet in the Scottish Junior Cup, where the travelling support will be looking for a reaction to this setback.

Forth team : Finnigan,Watson,Rennie,Gupwell(J.Dick),McMullen,K.Dick(Hardie),Walker(Grenfell),