Lanark 1 Forth 1 – 3rd October 2015

Lanark United 1 Forth Wanderers 1

Forth and Lanark both put their undefeated league records on the line at Moor Park yesterday and both remained undefeated come the final whistle after an intriguing 1-1 draw.

The early stages were devoid of any clear cut openings as both sides probed for an opening but the game burst into life after 25 minutes when Andy Finnigan in the Forth goal tipped a free kick from McGurk around the post for a corner. Two minutes later and it was Forth who took the lead and it was another cracker from Willie McClaren, running with the ball before blasting an unstoppable shot past Michael Duke in the Lanark goal.

The goal seemed to energise the Wanderers and they now began to dominate with McClaren prominent and he almost doubled his tally after 32 minutes, firing narrowly wide. He came even closer a minute later breaking clear and rounding Duke before seeing his shot cleared off the line by Cameron Lawson.

It was one way traffic at this stage and McClaren played in Taylor Scott after 35 minutes and when Duke did well to block his shot, the ball fell to Declan Walker who couldn’t direct his header on target for what would’ve been a certain goal. Barry McGeechan was next to try his luck for Forth but he flashed his shot wide and half time arrived with everyone in the crowd wondering how Forth were only one ahead.


Lanark, undoubtedly on the end of a half-time lambasting from manager John Brogan, began the second period strongly and Ross signaled their intentions firing over after a good passing move in the opening minute. Ross was prominent for Lanark at this stage and he fired in another shot which was easily held by Finnigan.

Finnigan made another excellent save as Lanark turned the screw although Forth almost increased their lead after 53 minutes when McClaren found the unmarked Scott with a great ball but the young striker could only blast over. This was merely a temporary respite for Forth however and Lanark continued to press and were rewarded just after the hour mark when Ross fired home.

Kristopher Dick then came close for Forth before McClaren was dismissed for a second bookable offence with 10 minutes remaining. Lanark tried to press home their numerical advantage as the game drew to a conclusion but the Wanderers defence held firm and the game ended with honours even.

A disappointing result for Forth considering the chances missed but they remain undefeated and showed they were more than a match for the league leaders.

Forth team : Finnigan,S.Tait,L.Tait,McMullen,Gupwell,K.Dick(J.Dick),Walker,McGeechan,